Friday, August 01, 2008

Lovin' The Good Life

My friend Cindy swears she is going to turn my name into the program The Good Life. If you haven't seen it on the Fine Living channel, it features people who have chucked their work-a-day life to pursue their dream(s). It appears to me that most of these folks have a fair amount of disposable income. I used to have a fair amount of disposable income when I was working the 60 hour Corporate week as a Quality Systems manager. Of course, I had all the associated stress, increasing disgust and general unhappiness that went along with it. I really wanted to make the leap of faith into something I loved, but it took a while to muster the courage. I reached the end of my proverbial rope on 12/21/07 and with my husband's blessings, my last Corporate work day was 1/8/08. I left on my own terms and I haven't looked back. I've had offers to go back as a consultant, which I have politely declined. I figure if they didn't listen to my wisdom for 32 years, why would they start now? As I told someone not long ago, I'd eat dirt and chase it with rainwater before I would go back to that kind of life. We've never been extravagant in our lifestyle and have planned for retirement. Life is way to short, people. Start doing something you love, even if it's just a hobby.

One thing that has amazed me is how very busy I've been living the Good Life. How on earth did I have time to 'work'? Of course I am now embroiled in the greenhouse business daily and Possum Creek Herb Farm is in its 3rd season at the Chattanooga Market. This has been a very good year for us at the Market, as we have topped 2007 sales every Sunday thus far. Now for a plug: In case you've never visited the Chattanooga Market, it is open every Sunday from the end of April until the first week in December at the First Tennessee Pavillion. You can go to http://www.chattanoogamarket.com/ for more info and directions should you be visiting or passing through our fair city. Mid-summer is a great time at the Market. Fresh produce from local farmers abounds. Much of the produce is grown organically. There are also a variety of crafts, baked goods, bath and body products and food vendors. On stage you will find established and up and coming music artists throughout the day. Whether you just breeze through or come to spend the day, the Chattanooga Market is a great place to visit.

No comments: