Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Almost Garden Time!

While we've had some rain, it hasn't been the deluge we experienced last Spring.  We were able to get the garden tilled in between showers without turning it into a mud bog.
There's something about the smell of freshly tilled soil that does my soul good.  So now I'm chomping at the bit, ready to mark rows, plant seeds/seedlings and wait for the fruits of my labor.

I can already envision cages leaning under the weight of rosy tomatoes on healthy branches.  There will be towers of pole beans creating green, leafy columns.  Ah, and let's not forget okra stalks resembling a nuclear holocaust after the marauding deer eat all the leaves...  I can hear my Dad saying 'deer need to eat, too.'

There is something therapeutic about digging in the dirt, planting seedlings that you've watched germinate and reaping the rewards of your labor.  Everyone who eats a vegetable should have to spend one day working in a garden.  People need to understand what it takes to get the food to their plate.
Just maybe that would keep them Down To Earth.

No comments: