Thursday, April 24, 2014

Planting Has Begun!

When I'm digging and planting, I'm in my element.  Mark did a fine job tilling the garden earlier this month, but after a few showers a crust had developed (along with some young weeds).  I'm using the small tiller to reestablish soft soil for rows.

To say I have an aggressive plan for the garden this year would be an understatement.  If all goes as planned, I will have 3 varieties of yellow squash (Lioness, Fortune & Cube of Butter), 2 varieties of peppers (Big Red & Joe's Long Cayenne), 2 varieties of eggplant (Fairy Tale & Orient Express), 4 varieties of cucumbers (Tasty Jade, Bush Pickle, Arkansas Little Leaf & Rocky), 10 varieties of tomatoes (Mortgage Lifter, Martian Giant, Cherokee Purple, Brandywine, Super Sioux, San Marzano, Principe Borghese, Yellow Pear, Maglia Rosa, & Sweet Pea Currant), and at least 3 varieties of beans (Bountiful, Gita & Lazy Wife Greasy Bean).  Of course, there are other things I will start & plant later in the summer for fall/winter crops.  I'll reveal those later.  When I look through the seed catalogs, many things catch my eye.  I'll never know if I like a variety or not unless I try it...right?

Yes, your Honor, I have lost my mind.  Well, maybe not completely...yet...  The mission, should I choose to accept it and weather permitting, is to sell any excess we may have at market plus give some away.  My Dad always said your garden will do better if you give some away.  Makes sense to me, because I watched him do just that and his garden always prospered.  I hope he would be proud of my agricultural accomplishments.  I know I'm pretty proud, but not so much that it will keep me from being Down To Earth.


No comments: